Magento and WordPress are both scalable open-source software for developing websites. While WordPress is better for marketing your website or online store, Magento is better for driving sales. Though both of them offer free versions and increased functionality, there are still some differences between them. Magento mainly helps users to build an online store but WordPress is a CMS that can be extended with dedicated plugins for transforming into a full-scale eCommerce management system.
Both WordPress and Magento can fulfill your needs as an online store but the correct choice for you depends on your primary goals. The best eCommerce website development company in India can help you in the right direction. Here in this blog, also you will find in-depth information about both Magento and WordPress which will help you to make a decision best suited for your business.
Before heading towards the similarities and differences between Magento and WordPress let us quickly brush up on what Magento and WordPress are, in detail.
What Is Magento?
Magento is mainly an enterprise-level eCommerce level that is best suited for large websites. As Magento is not as user-friendly as WordPress, you may need to learn some technical elements yourself or hire a technical expert to help you reach your site to its maximum potential. Therefore, we can say Magento is a better choice if your focus is only on increasing eCommerce sales.
What Is WordPress?
WordPress is a website builder and an Open-source Content Management System, that can be used by anyone without much technical expertise. As the development cause of a WordPress website is much lesser than Magento, it is a boon for small and medium scale business entrepreneurs to use this platform and establish their global presence online. WordPress is indeed a better choice for you if you focus on marketing your site with great content.
Let us look at the pros and cons of both WordPress and Magento
- WordPress is not wholly dedicated to e-commerce.
- You can easily create an eCommerce store that excels in areas like content marketing.
- You can auto-install the WordPress software and themes with no technical knowledge depending on the hosting provider you choose.
- eCommerce functionality is not in-built into the WordPress software, you will need to install the free Woo-commerce plugin first.
- WordPress provides infinite possibilities for features but you need to install each one separately.
- In Magento software, the eCommerce functionality is already built-in and you can download it. You can also download many useful sales and inventory features.
- Magento is a much stronger platform, so it can easily support large e-stores and help small e-stores grow.
- Magento is not a very fresher-friendly platform.
- Magento is itself free but as it is built for large sites, outsourcing for tech and design may put pressure on your budget.
WordPress And Magento: How Are They Different?
1) Ease of use: WordPress is much easier to use than Magento as the WordPress software is accessible for both developers and beginners. Magento is built by keeping in mind only professional developers and large businesses.
2) E-commerce: Though both WordPress and Magento are extremely capable eCommerce platforms, still Magento is a more powerful platform for online selling. Magento has excellent sales features already built-in, including:
- Recently viewed and compared products
- Free shipping options
- Add multiple images per product listing
- Make different price points for different customer groups
- One-page checkout
WordPress doesn’t offer in-built eCommerce features, instead, you will have to download the woo-commerce features for WordPress-which will help to grow your eCommerce website. You won’t need as much technical skill as you need in the case of Magento.
3) Marketing and content management: In terms of marketing and content management WordPress is better than Magento.WordPress is a content management system that started out as a blogging platform. You can make all types of websites with WordPress and it can handle a large amount of content and media but for Magento, you need to have a custom extension to support blogging as it is not an in-built feature.
4) Themes and Design customization: Both Magento and WordPress have good design capabilities, but the type of theme will depend on your website type. Both of them provide ready-made themes as well as custom themes. The ready-made themes are cheaper in comparison to the custom themes which are costly for both Magento and WordPress.
Magento And WordPress: How Are They Similar?
Security: Security in an eCommerce website is very important as customers often enter their debit card info on eCommerce websites. Since Magento is an eCommerce specific platform, it has stronger security measures than WordPress. But WordPress is also a highly secure platform. Both Magento and WordPress have gone through equal shares of security updates and offer a wide variety of extensions and plugins to increase your website’s protection.
Help and Support: Magento and WordPress both provide community-based support forums i.e WordPress support and Magento Forums. There you can search through hundreds of posts and hear from users all over the world. Since WordPress and Magento are highly popular platforms, even if you do not find your answer in their official forums, chances are there that someone has already answered your question on Quora or Reddit.
As these are open-source platforms, the majority of professional help you will get from the hosting provider, not directly from the platforms. You can hire the best eCommerce website development company in India to help you in the best possible way.
Thus we made it very clear at the end of this blog that Magento is the best choice for developing large eCommerce stores while WordPress is the best choice for developing content-driven websites. But as WordPress is continually evolving, we can expect better solutions in favor of WordPress in the future.